Gluten Free Banana Bread Pancakes

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pancakes!  The BEST pancakes!


We love pancakes in this house, but I'm totally over the gluten free flour blend (and baking recipe) additives like guar gum and xanthan gum.  That's why I've been on a perfect pancake recipe quest for the past few months.  It's been a great way to break in the new kitchen at our new house (we moved in August)! :)  Plus, our little lady LOVES to help and pancakes are a great recipe to make with a toddler.  In fact, she may now whisk eggs better than me! Teehee!


So, with my sidekick by my side, I figured out a pretty perfect recipe.  These cook up great every time and they have an amazing flavor.  Did you notice the "banana bread" title of this post?  Seriously, these babies have a distinct banana bread flavor.  To quote my (non-gluten free) grandmother-in-law, "Did you come up with this recipe?  You need to write a cookbook!"  Aww, thanks GG!  Maybe one day.  For now, I'm enjoying a less hectic pace of life.

I'm also looking to decrease the amount of sugar intake for my family (the holidays did just end!), which is why I was so happy that the addition of bananas to this recipe was almost enough sweetener for my gal and hubby.  I may try them sometime without any sweetener, but I also want the family to eat them so I'm keeping a little bit in there for now!

One last note, for this recipe I used basic rice flour as we're also trying to avoid all other grains.  For a more Paleo-friendly recipe I've included a link at the bottom of the page to an excellent coconut flour recipe.  In my quest to create great gluten free pancakes I was also dabbling in trying to create a Paleo recipe for mornings when I wanted the pancake to be a more complete meal (most Paleo recipes require 4-6 eggs).

Without further ado, here are the amazingly simple and always delicious...

Gluten Free Banana Bread Pancakes

Ingredients

  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup white rice flour
  • 2 ripe bananas 
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 2 Tblsp organic sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • splash of vanilla
Directions

  1. In large mixing bowl, mash both bananas (I found using a large serving fork is great).
  2. Add eggs, flour, milk, sugar, baking powder and vanilla to the bowl.
  3. Mix all ingredients.
  4. Heat griddle over medium to medium low heat.  
  5. Grease with butter and cook pancakes until edges start to dry out (about 2 min) before flipping.  
  6. Serve with more butter (we love Kerrygold!) and bacon and eggs if you're extra hungry! :)

Variations

I've also done the following with great results.

  • Sub sugar with maple syrup (only 1 1/2 Tblsp).
  • Add 1 tsp cinnamon.
  • Add 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans.



For a Paleo-friendly recipe, use this one by Nourishing Days!  After making it this morning I'm done (for now) trying to create my own.  I did have to watch these more (read: cook at lower temp and therefore cook longer), but the flavor and smell were amazing!

Get your pancake cooking on and ENJOY!

Happy Gluten Free Dining!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Follow Us On Twitter