Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes

Saturday, September 10, 2011

I was in the mood for dessert and decided to make these red velvet cupcakes from a recipe in the latest Living Without magazine.

Sadly, the amount of red food coloring the recipe called for was not nearly enough. Only 3 drops! I should have known better! And this being my first time around with red velvet, I didn't want to go too crazy (although I did try double the amount of food coloring, but to no avail). Rather than be sad, I improvised and turned the icing red. :-)

One interesting note about these cupcakes is that they're made with stevia to replace a good portion of the sugar.

Ingredients:
  • Gluten free all purpose flour
  • Xanthan gum
  • Baking powder
  • Cocoa
  • Red food coloring
  • Vanilla
  • Salt
  • Baking soda
  • Cider vinegar
  • Egg yolks
  • Egg whites
  • Stevia
  • Sugar


So essentially this was a normal recipe for cupcakes with gluten free flour and xanthan gum in place of regular flour and stevia in combination with pure sugar.

Overall I was quite pleased with the results, although I overfilled many of the cupcakes (it's been awhile since I've made these things and I remembered right in the middle of pouring the batter to only fill each cup half way)!



For the frosting I bought powdered sugar and followed the recipe on the box (adding about 8 drops of food coloring).




Okay, so I have to modify the above comments.  I had another cupcake today (day after making them) and they were perfect!  Super moist and delicious!  The sweetness was just perfect!  My guess is that trying a cupcake at 10pm when you are about to go to sleep (which is what I did yesterday) is what causes your mouth to believe they are too sweet!

As for the cupcakes, I'll have the true test when my husband tries them, especially since he is the non-Celiac and still eats "normal" flour. :-)

My husband tasted these this morning and said they were, "a tasteful treat that satisfies any diabetics dream!" Haha...that's what I get for asking him his direct opinion!  Earlier when he ate them he said they were, "really, really good!"  Yay cupcakes!!

Happy baking!!

While tasty, I did find these cupcakes a bit too sweet. So I have a small request, if you know of a tasty frosting alternative that's good, but less sweet, please let me know so we can try it. Thanks! I also don't know that I'll bake that often with stevia knowing that it is a ton sweeter than sugar. But, I will continue to use it in my coffee as that is delish!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Follow Us On Twitter