Food Free Friday-Homemade Hand Scrub

Friday, January 13, 2012

Welcome to the first Food Free Friday of 2012!
I started this feature out a little zealous, saying I'd have a new "non food" post every week.  Ha, sadly, not quite!  But, I do plan to be more consistent this year.  My initial goal will be to have 2 entries a month.  I'll see how that goes and go from there.  Wish me luck!

Back to this first, and quite exciting post!  As you've likely learned, I am a huge fan of Easy Eats magazine. They just have such great recipes, a fun layout, beautifully enticing pictures, and soemthing a little different.  That something different is non-food sections!  It's so fun!  Likely because I'm a bit of a girly girl, but I just love learning about quality products and fun, homemade beauty concoctions.
On today's menu...homemade manicure hand scrub!
It's super easy and fun!  The first step is to venture out to find your ideal essential oils.  In the magazine, it said the oils were optional, but I think they're as the name implies, essential!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup oil (olive or coconut are good)
  • 1/2 cup raw sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable glycerin (*note: I found this right next to the essential oils at Lassens, healthfood store).
  • 1-2 drops essential oil

1.   Pour the sugar into a 4.5-ounce glass jar.


    2.   In a small bowl, combine the oil, glycerin and essential oil, if using, and pour into the jar.



    The oil...I used olive, BUT it had quite a strong scent so I wound up putting
    10 drops of EACH essential oil to mask the olive oil smell. 


    By the way, I used rosemary and spearmint essential oils. 
    I wasn't sure about the two, but they smelled good and I read
    that they were a great mix for hand products.
    I now agree, it's a great scent, AND my husband didn't think
    it was too strong or overpowering! Yay!






    3.   Cover and decorate as desired. Attach a card with these instructions: Massage a quarter-size portion into your hands, rubbing gently for about 30 seconds. Rinse with warm water.


    I've been leaving this cute little jar by the kitchen sink, which has been great!
    I guess I tend to notice my hands more after washing dishes! :)

    I hope you enjoy and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know of different essential oil mixings that you like or other homemade beauty products.  I'd love to try them out!  I'm still new to this whole "non food" homemade thing, but I'm really enjoying it!  I wanted to try this first one out for myself, but I'm definitely ready to start making hand scrubs and such to give to friends as gifts! :)

    You Might Also Like

    2 comments

    1. Absolutely! This stuff still sits in our kitchen window sill...works wonders! :)

      ReplyDelete

    Like us on Facebook

    Follow Us On Twitter