Gluten Free Pancake Recipe

Tuesday, February 28, 2012


In honor of National Pancake Day, I wanted to share my favorite gluten free pancake recipe.

While us non-gluten folks may not be able to share in the excitement of pancakes a'la IHOP, we can still enjoy the same treat, just from the comfort of our own homes. And, in all honesty, while dining out can be enjoyable, Crosby and I do breakfast so well that we prefer how we make it at home! Maybe it's because in this quest of gluten free living, we both cook more? But nonetheless, from this journey, we've begun to do more and more things well. :) From eggs and bacon, to French toast or pancakes, we LOVE how we do breakfast in the Shat house!!

Now, let me give you that recipe!

Gluten Free Pancakes (adapted from Gluten Free and Easy cookbook)

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup brown rice flour
-1/2 cup white rice flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-3 tablespoons light agave or honey
-2 tablespoons canola oil
-2 eggs
-1 cup milk
-1 tablespoon applesauce
-1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
-1 cup blueberries or other fruit (optional)

*Note, I said "or" on certain ingredients because I've used both depending on what we had on hand in our home. Also, as often as I can, I try to use organic ingredients. Also, I know this seems like a lot of ingredients, but the combination really does make these tasty! I've tried different variations of pancakes (even using peanut flour, bleh!) but this is so far the best!

Directions:
In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, mix agave or honey, oil, eggs, milk, apple sauce and vanilla.
Stir wet ingredients into the dry.
Add blueberries, if desired.
Heat a nonstick skillet (I'm currently loving my ceramic nonstick pan!) on medium and spray it with a light coat of oil.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto pan and cook until bubbles appear on top. Turn and continue cooking, about 2 min.

Some of our favorite toppings are sliced strawberries, peaches, almond slivers, applesauce, peanut or almond butter, and of course, whipped cream! Mix and match toppings to your hearts content.

Serve with eggs and sausage for a yummy meal! Well...I guess there should be some veggies squeezed in there somewhere too?!?!! ;)

If you have a favorite way to make pancakes, please share!!! We love getting new ideas!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Follow Us On Twitter